Monday, February 21, 2011

*Yoga & Brownie Love*

Ok, so yoga and brownies really don't have anything in common except that I love them both and they fit perfectly into my "healthiest way of being". You might be thinking "Brownies?! Did she say brownies?!" Yep! Since most standard desserts no longer fit into our way of eating I've done lots of searching for "guilt-free" (healthy) desserts; mostly raw, gluten-free and always nutrient dense. Recently I came across a recipe for  raw brownies that looked amazing and even better there were only 5 ingredients for both the brownies and the frosting!


Here's what you'll need:
15 mins

Brownies:
1c Walnuts
1c Dates
4Tbs Raw Cacao powder

Frosting:
2Tbs Coconut Butter
1Tbs Raw Honey
1/2Tbs Raw Cacao powder

Raspberries, strawberries or other fruit of choice to top.

Using a blender (Blendtec/ Vitamix) or food processor, grind walnuts until they form a "flour." Add dates and cacao until mixture sticks together and there are no large chunks. Remove and press into a pie dish or small shallow pan. Place coconut butter, honey and cacao into blender/ processor and mix until smooth. Spread on top of brownies. Refrigerate for 10 minutes and enjoy!

The first batch I made was fabulous and disappeared rather quickly. Second time I decided to double the recipe. YUM! Definitely enough to share with friends and family so this time I didn't have to feel so greedy ;) Even "guilt-free" desserts have to be enjoyed in moderation (waaaa!). These little brownies pack a punch with healthy fats and loads of minerals essential to maintaining a strong mind and healthy immune system.

While the brownies nourish the body and mind from physiologically perspective, yoga nourishes the body and mind from both the physiological and spiritual (mental) perspective. Practicing yoga provides many benefits for the body such as increased flexibility, improved circulation, better digestion, and greater mental clarity and focus. I was sixteen the first time I took yoga, and while initially I didn't stick with it regularly I found myself coming back to it time after time. By college I really needed something to keep me grounded and help me clear my overactive mind. Since then my yoga experience has grown and I've experience several different styles and learned from many yogis. Most recently I've taken up Bikram Yoga (hot yoga), and love it! To me it's more "exercise" yoga than meditative yoga. I have also found it to be more liberating as even though I am in my own practice and no one is really watching me I feel a different sense of exposure (maybe because I'm only half dressed!) yet a deep sense of acceptance.


There are so many areas of life that a yoga practice can touch and it is truly different for everyone. You don't have to be spiritual to get benefit out of yoga. The low impact physical activity is still a great workout especially for anyone recovering from an injury or with a medical condition*. I encourage everyone I know to try some form of yoga. In life everything we do should be about balance; yin and yang. Yoga gives us the opportunity to re-center ourselves even if only for a few moments. Those few moments add up and can have a tremendous impact on our health by reducing our stress hormone levels, and by allowing us to tune-in to our bodies. The key element to creating an optimally healthy lifestyle is being in-tune with our bodies.

For a quick "pick-me-up", if you really only have a few moments, you can do yoga at work or with a little more time find a good video (online, for rent, and for purchase) that is 15-90 minutes long. There is no one size fits all. Not all yoga is the same so if you try one and don't like it, don't give up, check out a new one. One of the most important practices in yoga is breathing. How often do you check-in with your breath? Seriously! If you're not sure about all this yoga stuff just try the breathing. And I mean really breathing. Sit, or stand, comfortably, close your eyes, or don't, and take a few deep breaths. See you just released some tension and stress! I bet you feel better already ;)

Now go enjoy some brain food (i.e. raw brownies), take a few deep breaths (or for the brave try a new yoga asana), and have a fabulous week!

To Health and Happiness!
M

*Please consult your physician before beginning any new exercise program.

2 comments:

  1. The brownies sound awesome and I can't wait to make some! The yoga is something that has been calling to me for a while. Guess I need to answer that call! Thanks MirandaRose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Answer that call! One of the beautiful aspects of yoga is that it IS for everyone. Let your brilliant light shine! Now is the time ;)

    ReplyDelete